Saturday, June 6, 2009

The wonders and stupiding-down of technology

Have you noticed we don't worry about being late anymore when meeting people because we have cell phones? We become more lax in planning get-togethers, dinners, rendez-vous, etc because we just assume we can call when we get there. Plan last minute. And it's even worse because I have an iPhone. I hardly even look at directions before I head off, often pellmell, to a new location, trusting my GPS to get me there safely, if not on time. And if I'm not on time, no problem. I just call.

Even in Paris this summer, I went a bit technology-whore-ish by obsessing over what cell phone to get (I wanted a cheapo crap flip phone so I could pretend to be cool like Jack Bauer - he always seems to have flip phones that can set off nuclear devices at the push of a button) because I just couldn't do a whole month without a cell phone. It turned out that having a cell phone was a very good idea indeed, as a few of us got separated from our professors and group at the Louvre, and thanks to cell phones (but no thanks to intermittent reception within the Louvre), we were reunited with very little psychological trauma.

That's the thing though. Does technology make us less reliable, less responsible? I think it does. And yet, I still buy into the madness.

And, in response to Al's last post, here's a cool article that talks about technology:
http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i21/21b00601.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment